Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Strawberries

We planted strawberries around our swimming pool last year and they did fairly well. We planted the day-neutral variety that produces the whole season long. Ours produced from April through early October. They didn't produce quite as many as I thought they would though. Now that I've done a little reading, I realize that I should have snipped the blooms off through the end of June because they were first year plants. This would have helped them to get better established early on and they should have produced more fruit later. What they did produce were very sweet and our labrador ate most of! My goal this weekend is to dig up and replant all of my runners. I'll probably move some of them to my front flower beds. I'm going to attempt to keep track of how old all of my plants are so that I can replace them every three to four years which is supposed to be the end of their producing life cycle. I guess if I lose track I can just dig them up once they stop producing! We'll see what happens.

No comments: